FRDB Archives

Freethought & Rationalism Archive

The archives are read only.


Go Back   FRDB Archives > Archives > IIDB ARCHIVE: 200X-2003, PD 2007 > IIDB Philosophical Forums (PRIOR TO JUN-2003)
Welcome, Peter Kirby.
You last visited: Today at 05:55 AM

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2003, 07:25 AM   #1
Secular Pinoy
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
Posts: 1,994
Question Chinese Scientists Create First Human-Animal Embryo

I don't know if this has been posted here at II, but a news story claims that scientists have produced a human-animal embryo. The story says that "Scientists in China have created the world?s first embryonic chimeras, hybrid embryos that contain human and rabbit DNA, according to the Journal of Cell Research."
Secular Pinoy is offline  
Old 08-17-2003, 08:02 AM   #2
Duvenoy
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Just another hick from the sticks.
Posts: 1,108
Default

Yeah, I read about that the other day. Don't quite know what to make of it or what the implications might be.

I am curious to see what the fundies have to say about it. Haven't seen anything yet.

doov
Duvenoy is offline  
Old 08-17-2003, 08:22 AM   #3
Santas little helper
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Above the ground
Posts: 1,050
Question

I don't get it, what purpose does it serve to mix
human and rabbit DNA ? The link said something
about transplants not being rejected but I don't see how the rabbit DNA helps that.
Santas little helper is offline  
Old 08-17-2003, 08:26 AM   #4
Gawdawful
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In a cardboard box under the viaduct.
Posts: 2,107
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Santas little helper
I don't get it, what purpose does it serve to mix
human and rabbit DNA ? The link said something
about transplants not being rejected but I don't see how the rabbit DNA helps that.
Well.... if they were going to use rabbit organs in humans, then maybe?

Cross a human with a rabbit, what do you get? A horny guy with big ears that can run fast after being easily startled? Wait a minute, I know guys like that.

Warren in Oklahoma
Gawdawful is offline  
Old 08-17-2003, 09:02 AM   #5
Duvenoy
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Just another hick from the sticks.
Posts: 1,108
Talking

Quote:
Cross a human with a rabbit, what do you get? A horny guy with big ears that can run fast after being easily startled? Wait a minute, I know guys like that.

:notworthy

doov
Duvenoy is offline  
Old 08-17-2003, 10:45 AM   #6
Magus55
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 7,204
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Duvenoy
Yeah, I read about that the other day. Don't quite know what to make of it or what the implications might be.

I am curious to see what the fundies have to say about it. Haven't seen anything yet.

doov
What does this have to do with religion and fundamentalism? Crossing human DNA with Rabbit DNA, is not evolution. And it is irrelevant anyway since evolutionists don't claim humans are genetically related to rabbits. So whats your point, and why would we care?
Magus55 is offline  
Old 08-17-2003, 11:29 AM   #7
Duvenoy
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Just another hick from the sticks.
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Magus55
What does this have to do with religion and fundamentalism? Crossing human DNA with Rabbit DNA, is not evolution. And it is irrelevant anyway since evolutionists don't claim humans are genetically related to rabbits. So whats your point, and why would we care?
Mere curiosity, Mangus. But you seem to care enough to comment.

A while ago, there was a huge frothing about stem cells, resulting in a virtual ban on research in this country. I am wondering if the great blather will pick up again, now that sacred, human cells have been 'contaminated' with bunny. Or is it vice-versa?

doov
Duvenoy is offline  
Old 08-17-2003, 11:38 AM   #8
Heathen Dawn
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,656
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Magus55
What does this have to do with religion and fundamentalism?


It's just that we're counting on religion and fundamentalism to get in the way of scientific research, the way it has always done.
Heathen Dawn is offline  
Old 08-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #9
pz
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Morris, MN
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Magus55
Crossing human DNA with Rabbit DNA, is not evolution.
It is evidence of the relationship between rabbits and humans.
Quote:
And it is irrelevant anyway since evolutionists don't claim humans are genetically related to rabbits.
Yes, we are. We're distant cousins.
pz is offline  
Old 08-17-2003, 01:16 PM   #10
Nic Tamzek
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: California
Posts: 646
Default

If its really a chimera, then we're not talking about mixing DNA, just fusing cells -- e.g. one cell, with all the human chromosomes plus all the rabbit chromosomes.
Nic Tamzek is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Top

This custom BB emulates vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.