FRDB Archives

Freethought & Rationalism Archive

The archives are read only.


Go Back   FRDB Archives > Archives > Biblical Criticism - 2001
Welcome, Peter Kirby.
You last visited: Today at 05:55 AM

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2001, 04:58 PM   #1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post Shroud of Turin References for Skeptics

I ran across these on another list the other day, and those of you who argue from time to time about this obvious medieval fake may enjoy these, especially the crushing first one:

http://www.humanist.net/appro-sindone/schafersman.html

http://skepdic.com/shroud.html

Michael
 
Old 07-01-2001, 06:45 PM   #2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Very interesting reading, thank you for the links.
 
Old 07-02-2001, 07:30 AM   #3
Bede
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

The fact that the shroud is medieval is never going to stop all the razzmatazz as the books just sell so well. My favourite theory is that the shroud is real and the Church deliberately falsified the tests to cover it up. Disprove that, you sceptics!

Yours

Bede

Bede's Library - faith and reason
 
Old 07-02-2001, 10:04 AM   #4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bede:
My favourite theory is that the shroud is real and the Church deliberately falsified the tests to cover it up. Disprove that, you sceptics!</font>

LOL!!! Where did you read that one? I'd love to see how they back it up.

--W@L
 
Old 07-02-2001, 11:08 AM   #5
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

I was just reading on one of the email lists I'm on from someone who actually believes the Shroud of Turin is the real thing. People will believe anything.

Michael
 
Old 07-02-2001, 12:10 PM   #6
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wink

Some people even believe in a god.
 
Old 07-02-2001, 12:32 PM   #7
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Foxhole Atheist:
Some people even believe in a god.</font>
What is even more weird is that a tiny minority of people deny that God exists.
 
Old 07-02-2001, 03:22 PM   #8
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Layman:
What is even more weird is that a tiny minority of people deny that God exists. </font>
Yes, like only a billion Chinese.


Michael
 
Old 07-02-2001, 03:29 PM   #9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by turtonm:
Yes, like only a billion Chinese.


Michael
</font>
Good point, I was thinking of the United States. My understanding that there were large numbers of Confucianists, Buddhists, and Taoists in China. As well as millions of Christians. But I'm willing to concede that several decades of harsh governmental persecution of theists is likely to produce a more atheistic population.

That is one way atheists continue to impose their belief system on others. Governmental coercion.

[This message has been edited by Layman (edited July 02, 2001).]
 
Old 07-02-2001, 04:39 PM   #10
Toto
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 40,549
Post

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Layman:
Good point, I was thinking of the United States. My understanding that there were large numbers of Confucianists, Buddhists, and Taoists in China. As well as millions of Christians. But I'm willing to concede that several decades of harsh governmental persecution of theists is likely to produce a more atheistic population.

That is one way atheists continue to impose their belief system on others. Governmental coercion.
</font>
??

Confucianists and Taoists are non-theistic. Buddhists do not worship anything that you would recognize as a god.

Reading the Bible is more likely to produce atheism than governmental persecution. It worked for most of us.
Toto is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:18 PM.

Top

This custom BB emulates vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.