FRDB Archives

Freethought & Rationalism Archive

The archives are read only.


Go Back   FRDB Archives > Philosophy & Religious Studies > History of Abrahamic Religions & Related Texts
Welcome, Peter Kirby.
You last visited: Today at 01:23 AM

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
mountainman
Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Falls Creek, Oz.
Posts: 11,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post

Commences ....

Quote:
The first century was an era of apocalyptic expectation among the Jews of Palestine, the Roman designation for the vast tract of land encompassing modern day Israel/Palestine as well as large parts of Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon. Countless prophets, preachers, and messiahs tramped through the Holy Land delivering messages of God's imminent judgment.

In the 1st century this region was not referred to as "The Holy Land" rather it was a backwater of the Roman Empire. It commenced to be referred to as "The Holy Land" only in the 4th century when the first pilgrims (Bullneck's relatives) decided to visit it. As such Reza Aslan seems to be indulging in anachronism.





εὐδαιμονία | eudaimonia
mountainman is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Brendan Rizzo
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davka View Post
I heard this show today as well. I was struck by Aslan saying that not only did the writer(s) of the "Roman census" story (which places Jesus' birth in Bethlehem, making him messiah-eligible) - that not only did the writer(s) know this story was untrue, but that their readers would have known it as well. Since the Romans never actually conducted such a census (in which they required people to return to their place of birth to be counted), the readers would have understood it to be factually incorrect.

Aslan went on to say that ancient people did not consider *any* of the stories about gods to be factual accounts, but rather stories which were designed to illustrate some important truth. It was only with the advent of the Enlightenment, and the emerging consensus that anything that is "true" can be verified scientifically, that Theists began to claim that the Bible is literal historical fact.

Great interview, worth a listen.
Hold on, if religious writings were always considered metaphorical before the eighteenth century, then how do you explain the fact that medieval Christians tortured and killed those who pointed this out?
Brendan Rizzo is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
mountainman
Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Falls Creek, Oz.
Posts: 11,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Rizzo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davka View Post
I heard this show today as well. I was struck by Aslan saying that not only did the writer(s) of the "Roman census" story (which places Jesus' birth in Bethlehem, making him messiah-eligible) - that not only did the writer(s) know this story was untrue, but that their readers would have known it as well. Since the Romans never actually conducted such a census (in which they required people to return to their place of birth to be counted), the readers would have understood it to be factually incorrect.

Aslan went on to say that ancient people did not consider *any* of the stories about gods to be factual accounts, but rather stories which were designed to illustrate some important truth. It was only with the advent of the Enlightenment, and the emerging consensus that anything that is "true" can be verified scientifically, that Theists began to claim that the Bible is literal historical fact.

Great interview, worth a listen.
Hold on, if religious writings were always considered metaphorical before the eighteenth century, then how do you explain the fact that medieval Christians tortured and killed those who pointed this out?
treatment of heretics

Quote:
With the adoption of Christianity by Constantine I (after Battle of Milvian Bridge, 312), heresy had become a political issue in the late Roman empire. Adherents of unconventional Christian beliefs not covered by the Nicene Creed like Novatianism and Gnosticism were banned from holding meetings,[15] but the Roman emperor intervened especially in the conflict between orthodox and Arian Christianity, which resulted in the burning of Arian books.[15]

In contrast to the late antiquity, the execution of heretics was much more easily approved in the late Middle Ages, after the Christianization of Europe was largely completed. The first known case is the burning of fourteen people at Orléans in 1022.[21]
WIKI and Reza Aslan are misinformed. The first attested religious persecution is documented by Ammianus c.359 CE in Skythopolis where "numbers without end" were dragged from Alexandria and Antioch, and tortured and/or executed. The rulers (Christian Emperors) considered the monotheistic state religions useful and to speak against their authority (whether or not the holy writ was a factual account) was treated as an attack on their majesty. Later the Pope got involved in the same practice.






εὐδαιμονία | eudaimonia
mountainman is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
outhouse
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Auburn ca
Posts: 4,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
WIKI and Reza Aslan are misinformed.
Yet you have no credible explanation that would overturn this.

What about Nero?
outhouse is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
mountainman
Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Falls Creek, Oz.
Posts: 11,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outhouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
WIKI and Reza Aslan are misinformed.
Yet you have no credible explanation that would overturn this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKI
In contrast to the late antiquity, the execution of heretics was much more easily approved in the late Middle Ages, after the Christianization of Europe was largely completed. The first known case is the burning of fourteen people at Orléans in 1022.[21]
WIKI is misinformed. The first attested religious persecution is documented by Ammianus c.359 CE in Skythopolis where "numbers without end" were dragged from Alexandria and Antioch, and tortured and/or executed.

Quote:
Aslan went on to say that ancient people did not consider *any* of the stories about gods to be factual accounts, but rather stories which were designed to illustrate some important truth. It was only with the advent of the Enlightenment, and the emerging consensus that anything that is "true" can be verified scientifically, that Theists began to claim that the Bible is literal historical fact.
Aslan is misinformed. The rulers (Christian Emperors) considered the monotheistic state religions useful and to speak against their authority (whether or not the holy writ was a factual account) was treated as an attack on their majesty. Later the Pope got involved in the same practice.


Quote:
What about Nero?

What about Nero?




εὐδαιμονία | eudaimonia
mountainman is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Brendan Rizzo
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 111
Default

outhouse is quite clearly asking how one would explain away Nero's persecution of Christians, which is attested by non-Christian sources. I thought that was obvious.
Brendan Rizzo is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
aa5874
Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: the fringe of the caribbean
Posts: 18,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Rizzo View Post
outhouse is quite clearly asking how one would explain away Nero's persecution of Christians, which is attested by non-Christian sources. I thought that was obvious.
Actually, non-christian sources do not attest the persecution of any Jesus cult in the 1st century.

Tacitus Annals with Christus is an obvious blatant forgery which was carried out sometime after the END of the 4th century.

Please identify any non-christian source that claimed Nero persecuted a cult whose leader was Jesus of Nazareth.
aa5874 is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
Toto
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 40,549
Default

More by Reza Aslan

CNN religion blog - Losing Christ and finding Jesus

Transcript of the Daily Show interview

Another transcript
Toto is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
neilgodfrey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Darwin, Australia
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Hoo boy! Now I understand why Aslan and his book are apparently so big in America.

Muslim [think evil incarnate] converted by the light shining in America's soul.

This also explains the affection for the political program of Jesus -- which is nothing less than the same as America's -- to sacrifice itself for the cause of good and enlightenment in the world.

Imagine a Christian writing about his conversion to Islam and justifying a new book about Muhammad in similar terms.
neilgodfrey is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
Minimalist
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,808
Default

Quote:
slan starts from the idea that the only sure fact about Jesus is that he was crucified,
What is so "factual" about that?
Minimalist is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Top

This custom BB emulates vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.