FRDB Archives

Freethought & Rationalism Archive

The archives are read only.


Go Back   FRDB Archives > Archives > Biblical Criticism - 2001
Welcome, Peter Kirby.
You last visited: Today at 05:55 AM

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2001, 02:34 PM   #71
Nomad
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 410
Post

I would have to disagree with Toto on the unweildiness of this thread. At under 2 full pages it is actually one of the shorter discussions we tend to have in this forum.

At the same time, if anyone wishes to start a new thread on the topic, then please do so. It is my hope that they would familiarize themself with what has already taken place.

A final point, if I may, but as I have said in another discussion, telling us that some referenced material (especially stuff the poster has never read himself) is not making an argument, or even a valid point. The material on this thread remains quite unrefuted, however, and those that wish to support MacDonald's work are welcome to try.

Nomad
Nomad is offline  
Old 08-16-2001, 03:48 PM   #72
Toto
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 40,549
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Nomad:
<STRONG>
. . .
A final point, if I may, but as I have said in another discussion, telling us that some referenced material (especially stuff the poster has never read himself) is not making an argument, or even a valid point. The material on this thread remains quite unrefuted, however, and those that wish to support MacDonald's work are welcome to try.

</STRONG>
Are you implying that Mike had not read the book? How low can you go? You and Layman adamantly refused to read the book before you trashed it.

Anyone who is interested in MacDonald's thesis should not waste their time here - just read the book, look up a few reviews in the scholarly press, and realize that MacDonald is making a literary argument and not presenting a grand theory of everything in the Bible, or even everything in Mark.
Toto is offline  
Old 08-16-2001, 10:07 PM   #73
Nomad
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 410
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Toto:

Are you implying that Mike had not read the book? How low can you go? You and Layman adamantly refused to read the book before you trashed it.
I am not implying anything Toto. I am telling those that care to read these threads that you had admitted that you could not confirm MacDonald's quotations. I believe you told us that they were referenced without actually being quoted, and you had not read the Homeric epics he was citing. To me it is irresponsible to place one's faith in a citation without being able to check on it.

Considering MacDonald's brutal misuse of Homeric stories where they ARE cited (see the review of the book above), I would not be so quick to credit him with getting his story right here.

Quote:
Anyone who is interested in MacDonald's thesis should not waste their time here - just read the book, look up a few reviews in the scholarly press, and realize that MacDonald is making a literary argument and not presenting a grand theory of everything in the Bible, or even everything in Mark.
Yes, well, they certainly can read the book if they wish. Mercifully, it appears to have had a very short shelf life. But before anyone starts thinking that MacDonald is really onto something here, they may want to consider some of the points and questions raised in this thread. After all, I would hate to think that the people that come here are just wasting their time.

Nomad
Nomad is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:16 PM.

Top

This custom BB emulates vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.