FRDB Archives

Freethought & Rationalism Archive

The archives are read only.


Go Back   FRDB Archives > Archives > Biblical Criticism - 2001
Welcome, Peter Kirby.
You last visited: Today at 05:55 AM

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2001, 08:13 PM   #1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post The Bible Codes?

Anybody heard of these?
 
Old 02-21-2001, 08:31 PM   #2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

TrueThinker.

Yes. Ever heard of the Moby Dick codes?

Norm
 
Old 02-21-2001, 08:49 PM   #3
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

The Moby Dick Codes can be found at the following site:

http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/moby.html
 
Old 02-22-2001, 04:25 AM   #4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TrueThinker:
Anybody heard of these?</font>
Yes, the exact same sort of codes can be "found" in any other large works of fiction, not just the bible.

It is just a matter of finding what you want to see.

[This message has been edited by Orpheous99 (edited February 22, 2001).]
 
Old 02-24-2001, 01:23 AM   #5
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

TrueThinker


I assume you had a reason for raising this subject. Would you like to share that reason?

Norm
 
Old 02-25-2001, 08:34 PM   #6
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fromdownunder:
TrueThinker.

Yes. Ever heard of the Moby Dick codes?

Norm
</font>
Yes. I have. But what needs to be explained about the Bible Codes is why are codes for Hitler and Jesus found within relevant passages? i.e. There is a code about Hitler and the Nazis within a passage where Moses is prohesying about a nation that would heavily torment the Jews; also several codes concerning 'Yeshua' have been found in passages containing messianic prophesies. Moby Dick doesn't do that. Things like that demand explanation. The coincidences are too big to be ignored.

 
Old 02-25-2001, 08:47 PM   #7
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TrueThinker:
Yes. I have. But what needs to be explained about the Bible Codes is why are codes for Hitler and Jesus found within relevant passages? i.e. There is a code about Hitler and the Nazis within a passage where Moses is prohesying about a nation that would heavily torment the Jews; also several codes concerning 'Yeshua' have been found in passages containing messianic prophesies. Moby Dick doesn't do that. Things like that demand explanation. The coincidences are too big to be ignored.

</font>
But, most of those assassins were obsessed and Moby Dick was all about blind obsession and how destructive it is. Coincidence? Of course not! They must be true! Bow down and beg forgiveness from the Great White Whale!
 
Old 02-26-2001, 01:23 AM   #8
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

http://www.nsli.com/.../torah/
http://www.yfiles.com/yeshuacodes.html
http://www.yfiles.com/closing.html -lastly, the closing of the Bible codes by the "y files" because blasphemous codes are also found.

I read the Bible Code book a while back. What was interesting was that according to the author, both he and the original Bible coding Jewish mathematician found accurate predictions of the bombing of Tel Aviv and the assasination of Yitzahk in the Bible Code previously to the events, and even on the actual date of the event. Pretty amazing cooincidences, if true. Of course later they find a false prophecy about the assasination of the next Israeli president, and then after the end of that plan find the word(delayed) closeby. That seems more problematic...
 
Old 02-26-2001, 11:26 AM   #9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by a_theistnotatheist:
http://www.nsli.com/.../torah/
http://www.yfiles.com/yeshuacodes.html
http://www.yfiles.com/closing.html -lastly, the closing of the Bible codes by the "y files" because blasphemous codes are also found.

I read the Bible Code book a while back. What was interesting was that according to the author, both he and the original Bible coding Jewish mathematician found accurate predictions of the bombing of Tel Aviv and the assasination of Yitzahk in the Bible Code previously to the events, and even on the actual date of the event. Pretty amazing cooincidences, if true. Of course later they find a false prophecy about the assasination of the next Israeli president, and then after the end of that plan find the word(delayed) closeby. That seems more problematic...
</font>
I think people make the mistake of trying to use the codes to make predictions. That is not what they are for. Which Bible Code book was it that you read? The one by Michael Drosnin? That is not the one to read.

 
Old 02-26-2001, 11:56 AM   #10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

[TrueThinker:]
I think people make the mistake of trying to use the codes to make predictions. That is not what they are for.

[Me:]
LOL!!! Bible codes constitute predictions of events that happened long after the Bible was written.

Furthermore, this reminds me of Bertrand Russell's discussion of books about the Great Pyramid of Egypt -- that they always predict the history of the world very accurately up to the date of publication, and that they get much more vague after that point.

[TrueThinker:]
Which Bible Code book was it that you read? The one by Michael Drosnin? That is not the one to read.

[Me:]
Then which one is???
 
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:04 PM.

Top

This custom BB emulates vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.