FRDB Archives

Freethought & Rationalism Archive

The archives are read only.


Go Back   FRDB Archives > Archives > Biblical Criticism - 2001
Welcome, Peter Kirby.
You last visited: Today at 05:55 AM

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2001, 05:50 PM   #11
Garotte
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Council Grove, KS USA
Posts: 18
Post

You are incorrect here.

A theist has faith in the existence of absurdities for which there is no
evidence. An atheist does not.

rodahi
_____________________________________________


An atheist places their faith in what their senses, and science tells them is true. This is their belief system, thus their faith is in their belief that there is nothing outside the parameters of science.

Again the theist believes that there is an existence outside the parameters of science and physical laws, the atheist believes that there is not. Thus I believe my statement to be valid, in regards to faith:

The theist the faith that there is, the atheist the faith that there is not. Both systems based upon the individual's experiences and gathered perceptions.

Faith:
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction;

The theist has no scientific evidence that God exists, and the atheist has no scientific evidence that God does not exist, for if God he is outside the realm of empirical science.

Be well, be wise, and seek for truth.
Garotte is offline  
Old 07-10-2001, 08:42 PM   #12
Cute Little Baby
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: no comment
Posts: 27
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Garotte:
An atheist places their faith in what their senses, and science tells them is true. This is their belief system, thus their faith is in their belief that there is nothing outside the parameters of science.
I suppoe you could then call crime scene detectives people of "faith", right, since they rely only on what "their senses" tell them, just like atheists do?
Quote:
Again the theist believes that there is an existence outside the parameters of science and physical laws, the atheist believes that there is not. Thus I believe my statement to be valid, in regards to faith:

The theist the faith that there is, the atheist the faith that there is not. Both systems based upon the individual's experiences and gathered perceptions.
No, the atheist bases their "faith" on evidence, the theist bases their faith on merely what they want to be true, just like a child who does not believe in Santa Claus because there is no evidence that he exists vs. one that does believe in Santa just because he wants him to be real.
Quote:
Faith:
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction;
I suppose everything from political parties to what is the best movie of all time to obvious scientific facts like the roundness of the Earth, would then be "faiths" wouldn't they? Using your irrelevant definition, yes.
Quote:
The theist has no scientific evidence that God exists, and the atheist has no scientific evidence that God does not exist, for if God he is outside the realm of empirical science.
Thats like saying we have no evidence that Santa doesn't exist because "he is outside the realm of science" (a man who flies around in a sleigh pulled by reindeer and visits every house in the world in one night is clearly a supernatural being, and therefore outside of the natural world!)

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Cute Little Baby ]
Cute Little Baby is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:02 PM.

Top

This custom BB emulates vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.